Hi to all the gardening enthusiasts out there! Welcome to my blog. I am a young stay at home mum who loves gardening. I have a passion for all things flowering, whether it be beautiful blooming flowers or the edible vege garden. I love cottage gardens and i love the shabby chic Country look. I also love to share my gardening knowledge and hear from you. My love of gardening has surprised me but my mum keeps reminding me of when I was young and planted sunflowers in her front garden and they grew to be enormous plants, my dad could not dig them out!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Sugar Cane Mulch

Sugar Cane Mulch
Today I decided to mulch the garden, both the flower bed and small vegetable patch. I have tried different types of mulch before such as pine but lately I have heard that Sugar Cane Mulch is very healthy for the garden.  Firstly it is  very good in retaining water in your garden beds, it stops the weeds growing and it has healthy micro-organisms that are fed back into your soil and not to mention it looks great.  My intention was to finish the entire job but I had such a busy day with my daughter's Christmas Concert at school that I only managed to complete the small vegetable patch.  




My small vegetable garden mulched today
My vege patch is a little bare, I just planted a new batch of mixed letters and the 2nd growth of strawberries are about to ripen, there is a little spinach and Chives struggling to grow, one lonely tomato vine and a whole heap of parsley which has been very handy to have. What I have found since I started my vegetable patch is that the bigger the better for me for example we love spinach but by the time you pick an entire basket full of leaves and then boil them up you are left with half a cup to eat!




Strawberry plant
Here is my strawberry plant, you can see I am holding the baby strawberries in my hand, I placed sugar can mulch under them as it prevents them from rotting in the dirt.  It is a nice bed of straw for them to grow and ripen on instead of dirt.  If you have any questions or have some tips please feel free to comment.







Garden I will mulch tomorrow
Garden I will mulch tomorrow
Tomorrow i will attempt to finish mulching and give you a close up look to see how sugar cane mulch looks when applied at a larger scale. The bag I bought it in said it fills 8m2.

No comments:

Post a Comment